Quill Quality Score: a new benchmark for ecommerce content
We’re delighted to announce the launch of the Quill Quality Score: an objective, data-backed scoring system for assessing the quality of pre-purchase content on ecommerce websites.
The industry-standard framework has been in development for two years and is based on consumer research, industry best practice and aggregated performance data from thousands of pieces of content created by Quill.
The Quill Quality Score is designed to assess the effectiveness of an online retailer’s Primary Content: the core pre-purchase assets that aim to convert captive browsers into buyers at the point of purchase, including product descriptions, category descriptions and buying & how-to guides.
The Quality Score assesses these key content types – in any language or market – according to bespoke criteria:
– Product descriptions: Is product content fully optimised for conversion?
– Category descriptions: How well-optimised are category pages for search visibility?
– How-to, buying and destination guides: Does the website feature in-depth, search-optimised guides to answer common buyer queries and nudge customers to purchase?
Our audits of ecommerce websites to date have revealed some surprising industry trends:
– Over 85% of online retailers don’t have fully optimised category description content for SEO.
– Even though 98% of consumers consider it ‘very’ or ‘quite’ important to read about how a clothing item fits before buying, only 29% of online apparel retailers describe garment fit in product descriptions.
– 55% of shoppers visit retailer sites for information before buying, but only 18% of online retailers currently offer a broad range of high-quality guides to their customers.
Some clear market leaders have also emerged, with US sportswear giant Nike, Dutch clothing company G-Star RAW, UK fashion e-tailer Boden and outdoor wear specialists Timberland leading the pack in the rankings for product descriptions in the apparel category, based on analysis of 90 brands.
Commenting on the launch, Ed Bussey, Quill Founder and CEO, said:
“Many retailers are creating award-winning creative campaigns and investing millions in intelligently-targeted media buying, only to fall at the final hurdle because they treat Primary Content as an afterthought. Getting the basics right should be non-negotiable.”
“After all, there’s little point driving traffic to your website, only for the website itself to put customers off at the point of purchase. Where the money is really made is in high volume, evergreen, informative and compelling Primary Content at the end of the purchase funnel.”
The insights from a Quill Quality Score audit give retailers a clear sense of any weaknesses in their Primary Content offering that are limiting their website conversion rates, search engine traffic and other key performance metrics – arming them with key focus areas for improvement and comparisons against relevant competitors.
Request your score
Want to find out how your Primary Content measures up against best practice? To request a Quill Quality Score audit of your site, please fill out this form: